Friday, April 2, 2010

Miami Medical: Why Bother?

Apologies for the dearth of blogposts lately. I've been insanely busy of late. Trying to plan a wedding, trying to apply for scholarships for law school, trying to clear up an identity theft thing (another reason to hate Jersey--some scumbag there tried to use my name to open a line of credit), trying to get work done at the office.

Also, I'm sick of blogging about the same old shows--Lost, 24, American Idol. I'm pretty sure you're sick of reading about them, too. Or maybe you're not. I hope you're not.

Anywhosers, this morning, I saw a commercial for the new CBS drama, Miami Medical. It premieres tonight at 10PM. The show looks like Grey's Anatomy set in Miami. I'm torn on this. On the one hand, I love shows set in Miami. And by shows I really mean just two shows: Dexter and CSI: Miami. On the other hand, I'm sick of these same old dramas. Why do all these shows on TV focus on the same three subjects over and over and OVER: crime, law, and/or medicine?

I'm also hesitant to start watching a Friday night show. I don't know why networks bother scheduling new shows there. Nobody watches TV on Friday. Even Friday Night Lights didn't originally air on Fridays. Since CBS put Miami Medical there, it's all but guaranteed to get low ratings, which means it'll get canceled pretty quickly, which means there's no point in watching, which means it'll get low ratings. It's a vicious cycle.

Miami Medical (originally named Miami Trauma, and both names could not be more boring) stars a guy named Mike Vogel. He's that dude who's had roles here and there and you'd know his face but not really. He's no McDreamy, and he's no Delko. Rounding out the cast are Lana Parrilla, Jeremy Northam, Elisabeth Harnois, and Omar Gooding. Their names are vaguely familiar. Vaaaaaguely.

So why start watching this show at all? I can't think of a single reason. Overused concept, unknown cast. Sorry, Miami Medical. Looks like you'll be joining that great hospital drama in the sky. Say hi to Three Rivers for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment