Monday, January 25, 2010

Goodbye, Coco.

Last night, I watched Conan O'Brien's final episode of The Tonight Show. And the whole time, I just felt very sad for him.

No, I'm not pitying him, because he's coming away with a boatload of money, and he'll probably end up on another network and continue having a nice career. What I felt sad about was this: that after working for 20 years, he finally got his dream job, only to have it taken from him seven months later because the morons at NBC don't know what they're doing.

This is just wrong. I'm no network head, but I know about honoring your commitments, and NBC screwed up so badly here. The network basically effed up the lives of not just Conan, but his 100+ staffers who moved their families and lives across the country to continue working on the show. NBC also shot itself in the foot--Jay's numbers will never be what they were, no matter what time slot he has. NBC also lost a great talent who gave them everything he had for two decades. Shame on you, NBC. Shame on you.

From what I understand, Conan's not allowed to work for another network until this fall. So we're not going to see him for six or seven months. But I hope he does eventually find another job, so we can once again see him doing what he loves most: making us laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment