Sunday, January 10, 2010

TCA Press Tour: Part I.

This weekend was the start of the semiannual Television Critics Association press tour, which is where lots of cool TV news is announced. I have no idea why the tour starts on a weekend, but whatever. Here's what's been announced so far for NBC:

-Howie Mandel is replacing David Hasselhoff as one of the judges on America's Got Talent. I don't care.

-NBC took my suggestion and is creating a new Law & Order series, set in Los Angeles. Wait, they already tried that. It was called Southland, and it got canceled. Well, a rose by another name just might work. At the very least, it'll get better ratings than The Jay Leno Show. Speaking of which...

-NBC will cancel the primetime edition of Leno and give him back his old 1130PM slot. February 12 (also yours truly's birthday) will be Leno's final night in primetime. After the Olympics are over, it'll be Leno at 1130, Conan at midnight, and Jimmy Fallon at 1AM. No idea what will happen to Carson Daly. I know what you're thinking: Carson Daly still has a show?!

-Friday Night Lights may return to NBC in March. You don't care, I don't care. Moving on.

Here's what's been announced for CBS:

-Three Rivers is officially canceled. No one's surprised, and no one's sad. Except maybe Alex O'Loughlin. Listen, CBS. I think it's time you retire that ole "Let's make Alex O'Loughlin a star" mantra. Seriously. Some people are meant to be headliners (ahem Simon Baker), and others are meant to be ensemble. The other thing I want to say is, when you cancel a show, call it what it is, don't call it "on hiatus." You know what's on hiatus? Glee. Don't put that in the same category as Three effing Rivers.

-Numb3rs and Medium may be coming back next year. Uh, heck yeah. They are doing just fine on Friday nights. Leave them alone.

That's it for now. Stay tuned for news on Fox (tomorrow) and ABC (Tuesday).

4 comments:

  1. I know one other person who will be upset that Three Rivers is officially canceled...my father-in-law. He made my husband and I watch it one night and I could barely make it through 20 minutes before I went upstairs to read a book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alex O'Loughlin was a star in Moonlight. CBS made a big mistake in canceling it. Three Rivers wouldn't have been a good show for anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy- Welcome to my blog, and thanks for following! I've heard how depressing Three Rivers is, and I certainly cried when I saw the preview.

    Anonymous- Yes, Alex O'Loughlin was in Moonlight--another failed show. That's why I think CBS needs to stop trying to push him on us.

    ReplyDelete