Wednesday, January 20, 2010

American Idol: Yes, Asian People Can Sing!

My people have never won American Idol.

In fact, we've never even come close. Not runner-up, not third, not fourth, not fifth. Anoop Desai, who's Indian, made it to #6. A dude named Paul Kim, who liked to sing barefoot, also made it to the finals, but he was around #24 or something. Yes, I Wikipedia'd him...word up, Wikipedia! No, I don't know why I just wrote that.

Anyway, the reason I write this entry is because in last night's episode of Idol, a young Asian man got a golden ticket, and his name was John Park.

John, I don't know you personally, but dang, you can sing, and you are a stud. You had Shania all a-twitter!

I am so, so happy you made it through to Hollywood. Let's hope this isn't the last we hear of you, because too often, Idol shows us a great contestant during auditions...and then we never hear from them again.

Even more importantly, John, you may be the guy to show America that Asian people can sing. You may even be the guy who makes us all forget about William Hung. (I think for that achievement alone, you should be awarded one of those Fords they always give the finalists.)

I'm trying so hard not to get my hopes up too high about you, John Park. Because what if tonight was the last we'll see of you?

Well, at the very least, you are now immortalized in my humble blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment