Friday, November 27, 2009

Let's Give Thanks for Shows Like Desperate Housewives.

A show I absolutely love but have never written about in oh, two plus months of blogging is Desperate Housewives.

I watched the most recent episode yesterday afternoon, thinking for the thousandth time what a terrific and funny show this is. Six seasons in, and DH shows no sign of stopping. It's as creative, entertaining, and sharply funny as ever.

I read all the TV blogs and websites out there, and what I've been finding is many of these bloggers/reviewers have been drinking the haterade. They hate Teri Hatcher/Susan. They don't like Dana Delany's character turning nutso. They think Susan's daughter Julie is dull. And on and on. What I want to know is, if you hate this show so much, why are you talking about it? (I guess for the same reason I wrote two blogposts about V. Hah.)

I'll admit, I'm skeptical at the start of every season. They keep introducing new neighbors. I'm of the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" school of thought. The first time, they added a black family. Everyone was all, There's finally a black family on this show! Wow!! And then it turned out viewers didn't like them, so out they went. A couple of seasons later, they introduced Dana Delany. I wasn't so sure about her at first, but she's become a part of the show in a huge way and I love her. Then they said, Let's add a gay couple. The gay couple is just aiiight. Then they said, Let's add an Italian woman and her nutjob husband and son. Now I'm finding that I love love Drea de Matteo. I never saw a second of her in The Sopranos, didn't have any idea what she was like. Boy, am I pleasantly surprised. She's tough as nails, but she's got a big heart. And she's so, so funny. She is the healthy dose of Brooklyn to the cracked-out suburbia that is Wisteria Lane. What a great addition to the show.

So what I'm saying is, despite all the criticism out there, Desperate Housewives remains one of the funniest and most entertaining shows out there. It's a pleasure to watch every week (okay, every time I go on hulu.com).

So props to you, Marc Cherry. Props to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment