Monday, September 21, 2009

The Primetime Emmys: My Favorite Winners

Along with 291 million Americans, I did not watch the Primetime Emmys Sunday night. As funny as Neil Patrick Harris is, I’m not much for watching Hollywood congratulate itself on a job well done. I’m all for recognizing hard work and talent, but why don’t these people just give themselves the awards via a Facebook vote-off and send out a press release?

In any case, here are the three winners I am happy for, because I love these shows and winning is a sure sign they will not be canceled anytime soon (with the exception of #3):

Mad Men, for best drama and best writing for a drama series. Yes, that “writing” includes racist comments. And sexist jokes. And blackface. But this show is terrifically understated, with impeccable acting and a gorgeous, authentic look—you really feel like you’re in the 1960s, smoking like a chimney and wearing a garter.

The Amazing Race, for best reality/competition. This makes TAR’s 7th win in a row. Survivor host Jeff Probst said, “Maybe ‘Amazing Race’ should do what Oprah did and pull itself out of competition.” I don’t think he was joking. Probst, calm down. You won for best reality host. Anyway, would you really want your show to win because the BEST SHOW ON TV withdrew from the ballot? You would? Oh. Okay.

Kristin Chenoweth, for best supporting actress in a comedy, Pushing Daisies (R.I.P.). Pushing Daisies was canceled too soon. Fortunately, Kristin’ll be appearing on Glee this fall. I am SUPER EXCITED for that. Kristin needs to be on every show on TV.

To everybody else who won, congratulations. Little Dorrit, I never heard of you, but you put PBS on the map. The Daily Show, I watch you every day, but still prefer The Colbert Report. 30 Rock, I never watched a single episode of you, but maybe I should start. Are you casting Kristin Chenoweth anytime soon?

No comments:

Post a Comment